Companion Care at Home
Companion care is a good fit for clients who do well with activities of daily living but need help with continued engagement at home and in the community. While these home-based services typically encompass elderly care and elderly assistance, they can be customized to serve all ages. Companion care is typically included in all service plans and is the foundation on which more complex services are offered:
Companionship (Companion Service)
- Loved ones, seniors and the elderly who are socially engaged maintain a better quality of life. Our caregivers provide friendly conversation, can provide mealtime companionship, engage the client in social activities such as cards and bingo. This helps keep your loved one cognitively active.
- Research from the National Institute on Aging suggests social isolation increases the risk of a decline in the health of older adults. Engagement in the community and social interaction is a critical part of emotion and physical well-being.
- For those clients who unable to drive, our caregivers can provide transportation to appointments, barbershops, beauty salons, and shopping. If your loved one has transportation but needs/wants companionship, our caregiver can escort the client. Staff at Barberry Ridge Home Health can plan, schedule and transport clients to activities for a more active and stimulating lifestyle
- Getting out of the house to grocery shop or run other errands is often difficult for the older population. We can help by doing your errands for you. This can include grocery shopping, stopping at the pharmacy, mailing any letters, and any other errands you may have. Clients are welcome to come along for the ride.
Light Housekeeping and Laundry
- Our caregivers will provide light housekeeping. This can include vacuuming, dusting, changing bed linens, sweeping, mopping, cleaning bathrooms and kitchens and taking out the trash. Our caregivers can take care of all laundry needs, including the ironing, folding and putting the clothing away! We can do the laundry at the client’s home or at a nearby laundromat.
Meal Preparation and Nutrition
- Many times, due to cognitive, physical difficulties or simply a loss of appetite, clients do not eat a healthy, nutritious meal. Whether a client needs assistance with preparing a special diet or just want to improve nutrition, our caregivers can help. Assisting with meal preparation also provides companionship and turns meals into enjoyable social time by engaging the client in conversation
- At times, seniors may not take their medications. This may be due to something as simple as not being able to open the container or may be more complicated due to cognitive issues. Our trained caregivers can provide reminders or assist with opening the container for your loved ones so that they take their medications.
Does your loved one require our services for their care and also have a pet? Our experienced caregivers can assist. We can walk your loved one's dog; change the kitty litter, and assist with feeding their pet. We do ask for proof of a current rabies vaccine.
Hire a companion service with combined experience of over 40 years. Contact Barberry Ridge Home Health for an in-home assessment. Our staff of nurses and caregivers would love to help.